Monday 31 March 2014

Johnny Depp on His Fashion Sense: "I Love the Idea of Changing My Look"










Credit: Warner Bros., Alcon Entertainment, DMG Entertainment,

Syncopy, Straight Up Films.

Film: Transcendence.

Source: Facebook.





"People get famous now for I-don't-know-what"





Johnny Depp did a massive interview for Interview magazine's (haaa!) April issue, six pages long to be exact. Asking him questions is none other than rock legend Iggy Pop, thus making the conversation even more interesting, because you see these two guys who are friends in real life walk down on memory lane and reminisce about the good ol' times. What's ironic is that their first encounter started off with the wrong foot.



I've embedded some parts from the interview, in which Depp talks about one of his jobs before acting; how he prepares for shooting a scene; meeting Iggy Pop for the first time; the contemporary recipe for success in Hollywood; and reflecting on his eccentric fashion sense.



Hit the jump to read a short preview of Johnny Depp's chat with Interview magazine, and scroll down to view some images from hi photo shoot:

"

One of his jobs before acting was telemarketing: I marketed pens—on the phone. But the beauty of the gig was that you had to call these strangers and say, "Hi, how ya doing?" You made up a name, like, "Hey, it's Edward Quartermaine from California. You're eligible to receive this grand­father clock or a trip to Tahiti." You promise them all these things if they buy a gross of pens. It was just awful. But I actually think that was the first experience I had with acting.

On meeting Iggy Pop for the first time: You won't remember this, but I did two shows with you in Gainesville. My band, the Kids, opened for you in the early '80s. God, you were such a hero and the fucking show was amazing. After the gig you were walking around the club, and I was standing at the bar, all of 17 years old, guzzling as much spirits as I could to get up the nerve to talk to you. And I remember making the horrific decision in my teenage drunken state to go, "Well, I'll just get his attention." I started going, "I-I-Iggy Pop, Piggy Slop," you know? You walked towards me and put your face about a quarter of an inch from mine and just went, "You little turd." [laughs] And not only was it exactly the reaction that I deserved, but it was the one I wanted. I had a moment with you. Even though it was three words that dressed me down to absolutely nothing, I was so satisfied and happy that I had that experience with you.

On how people get famous today: People get famous now for I-don't-know-what. People have reality shows because they're a Hollywood socialite, and these things become very successful and they generate a shitload of money for the company. And it's multiplying, to where you're literally looking into your next door neighbor's bathroom with reckless abandon. It is like watching a fire. You can't take your eyes off of it.

On his fashion sense: I love the idea of changing my look. I think one owes it to the audience, to go out there and give them something different each time, so as not to bore them to death. And I always felt that if you're not trying something different each time out of the gate, you're being safe, and you don't ever want to find that place of safety. I like that, each time, before I even go in front of the cameras, the studio's reaction will be fear.






How he prepares for a scene: I still approach a scene as one would approach a solo. There's nothing set or pat. I don't know what the fuck's going to happen until I get in there. Just like when you're in the booth and you're playing a guitar solo, you don't exactly know how you're going to phrase this or that. Which I think is beautiful. That idea of chance.

"

[via Interview Magazine]





And now, scroll down to view some of the images from Johnny Depp's photo shoot with Interview magazine...






































0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management